Before I start writing on the subjects relevant to the Muslim community in India, let me clarify on the title of this blog. It is "H-I-N-D Muslims" and it should not be read or mistaken as "Hindu-Muslims". Frankly speaking, I don't need to give this clarification. But like all other Indian Muslims, I got habituated to the practice of giving clarification, even when it is not required or asked.
We 'clarify' that we love our motherland. We 'clarify' that we are not anti-nationals. We 'clarify' that we don't support terrorism. We 'clarify' that we don't have anything to do Osama or Al-Qaeda. We 'clarify' that we are not responsible for all the wrongs that are happening in the world in the name of Islam. None of these clarifications are required, but still we give clarifications on innumerable issues.
However, coming back to the blog title, 'Hind Muslims' was not my first choice. I tried to get other titles like the 'Indian Muslims' and 'Muslims in India', but those titles were already registered with the blogger. Though I was a bit upset, but like many other Indian Muslims, I was not disappointed. It reminded me of my college days. I applied for admission in three best intermediate colleges in Hyderabad. Despite having over 70 per cent marks, I failed to get a seat. But many students with less than 50 per cent marks got admission, due to reservation. However, I satisfied myself by taking admission in a little known junior college. I just did what thousands of other Muslim students do every year -- get satisfied with whatever they get.
As you are aware, the word "Hind" means "India". The slogan "Jai Hind" played a revolutionary role during the freedom struggle. But since "Hind" is an Urdu word, its usage has been confined after independence. Presently, it is being used only on two occasions -- Independence Day and Republic Day. After hoisting the national flag and reciting national anthem, everyone shouts "Jai Hind" thrice and that's all. I hope that this blog would help at least a few thousand people to understand that India is also known as "Hind".
After registering the title "HindMuslims", I realised that the more appropriate title could have been "Hindustanimuslims". It would have had more clarity. But it would have been a too long title and would have looked boring. Instead of "Hind", people would have been required to type six more alphabets to type "hindustani". Therefore, 'hindmuslims' looked appropriate to me.
I pray to Allah to give me knowledge, wisdom and courage to write on the issues concerning the Indian Muslims through this blog. Amin.